Tadka Pasta – Spiced, Indian version of an Italian favorite
Yesterday was one of those whiny gripey days where you simply could not put your finger on the reason, but the general snarl quotient in our house was pretty high… Long day followed by driving kids around for classes, dentist appointment, project help, homework and more. So nothing unusual, but hey we all can have our off days right? But all of us on the same day is a bit of a mystery. Could be the advent of fall and shorter days, could be I stepped on the scale in the morning, could be a snarky conversation, could be a stubbed toe, could be a dropped glass mason jar, could be a drooping tomato plant, could be a missing credit card and a forgotten appointment. What an eventful day !
We all needed something different, not the usual. Borne out of necessity is this adaptation.. A fantastic fusion of cuisines for your palette.. A must try!
Cooking time : 15-25 min Serves : 4
- Whole wheat Organic pasta of your choice : 3 cups, cooked al dente
- Olive oil : 2 tsp
- Fennel seeds : 1 tsp
- Onion: 1 , sliced in slivers
- Tomato: 1-2 , chopped roughly
- Mix of sweet peppers : sliced finely, 1 cup
- Organic baby Spinach : Roughly chopped, 1/4 cup
- Yellow squash : 1 , sliced thinly
- Fresh herbs of your choice : Chopped , 1/4 cup
- Garam masala : 1-2 tsp
- Dried Italian Herbs mix : 1 tsp
- Chilli Flakes : 1/4 tsp
- Salt : to taste
- Boil the pasta till just tender and set aside to cool.
- In a wide skillet/ wok / fry pan of your choice, heat the olive oil and add in the fennel seeds.
- Add in the onions and sauté till tender .
- Add in the squash and the tomatos and the sweet peppers sequentially.
- Salt this veggie mix so you have crisp but tender cooked veggies.
- Add in the spices and dried herbs and toss it well.
- Finally add in the cooked pasta and toss well.
- Add in the fresh herbs, stir once and serve
- Pile it on a plate and dig it in!