Well, this is going to be a fairly short write up to the post. A pretty hot spring day . And not a great day for yard work as discovered in the mid day sun. As also discovered the penchant for white noise in the background while got down to the list of things that had to be done. A broken Netflix connection did not bode well when I had a gazillion things to catch up on and so missed my badly translated movies. So while things were happening simultaneously and also struggling with a setting on the camera ( I hate to read the manual – and it’s an oxymoronic nature of mine which rouses it head on certain things), this was done to welcome the kids back from school. And add a watermelon cool slushie to this, you have a winner and a filling one at the least.
- Have extra filling? Make a great sandwich filler or Quesadilla filler for you.
- Don’t want potatoes? Well add anything you want – Paneer, cheese, mixed veggies , corn etc. Any and all of these will work.
- Don’t have white whole wheat flour, use your regular atta or roti flour?
- Masala : just mix and match what calls your fancy on that day.!
On to the actual works now 🙂
Ingredients: Makes 12 fairly large buns.
For the buns:
- White whole wheat flour : 1.5 cups
- All-purpose flour – unbleached and unbromated : 1.5 cups
- Ajwain or Carrom seeds : 1 tsp
- Kasuri methi : 1 tsp. ( crushed well)
- Salt : 1 tsp
- Oil of your choice : 1/4 cup
- Brown sugar : 1 tbsp.
- Rapid rise / Instant dry yeast : 2.25 tsp. or 1 packet
- Milk + water : 1 cup ( 3/4 cup milk + 1/4 cup water , very warm)
Sprinkling topping :
- Sesame seeds: 1 tbsp.
- Spray oil – Misto or Pam
- Dried Parsley leaves or fresh cilantro if using : 2 Tbsp.’
For the filling :-
- Boiled potatoes : 2 medium, mashed a bit
- Peas and Carrots : 1/2 cup frozen, thawed out
- Red onion : 1 medium, diced finely
- Jalapeno peppers : 2 chopped finely
- Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp.
- Garam Masala : 1 tsp.
- Pav Bhaji masala : 1 tsp.
- Salt : 1 tsp. adjusted to taste
- Oil : 2 tbsp.
- Fresh chopped cilantro : 1/4 cup
- Notes: The masalas are optional. You can always add red chili powder only or add another masala of your choice.
Making the dough:
- In the bowl of your stand mixer or your mixing bowl, add the flours, the salt and sugar and whisk very well. Add in the Ajwain/ Carrom seeds and dried fenugreek leaves ( kasuri methi) and instant yeast and mix well.
- Add in the oil and mix well.
- Now add in the very warm water and milk mixture and knead to a very smooth dough.
- Cover and let it rest for about an hour or until it doubles in volume.
- Meanwhile make the filling.
Filling/ Stuffing for the Buns:
- Pressure cook/ steam 2 medium or large potatoes and cool and mash them.
- In a wok or fry pan, add in the 2 tbsp. of oil and when it warms up add in the cumin seeds. These will sizzle and sputter.
- Add in the diced green chilies or jalapeno peppers and sauté them well.
- Add in the chopped red onions and sauté till tender .
- Meanwhile defrost the frozen peas and carrots and add it to this and stir in well till semi cooked.
- Add the salt and the masalas and the mashed potatoes as well.
- Mix and cook until the spices are distributed thoroughly. You do not want a mushy mix, but just enough till they can hold to the stuffing.
- Toss in some chopped cilantro.
- Optional : Add a dash of lime juice for a slight tangy flavor.
- On cooling, make about 2-3 inches globes of these.
Making the Buns:
- Once the dough has sufficiently risen, gently deflate it and roll it out and portion 12 globes out of these. These will be fairly on the larger size. You can always go smaller but just ensure you have equally proportioned the fillings to it.
- Cover it with a cloth and let it rest for about 5 minutes.
- Take one of the dough balls out and roll it out on a slightly floured surface to a thick circle. Keep the filling in the center and wrap it with the dough. Pinch the seams so there is no gaps. Repeat for the rest.
- Let it rise on a greased baking tray for another 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile pre heat to 375 deg F.
After 20 minutes when the stuffed dough balls have slightly risen, spray the oil mist or pam on the surface of the globes, sprinkle the sesame seeds and herbs.Bake for about 20 minutes till golden brown.
These were totally amazing. The were a beautiful brown and perfectly baked. Gorgeous on the outside and soft crumb holding the filling.
Here’s a pictorial on it ..