Disclaimer: This is not a bake it from scratch post.This is a use up the stuff at home kind of thing. More of a transformation, if you would like it!
You go shopping, you see the cake mix. You know you bake at home.. Well you do bake at home. But somehow something struck you and you came home with 2 boxes pf pudding and white cake mix. Don’t ask why! I had been wanting to experiment a bit with pistachio pudding and the cake was meant so my kiddo could bake it all on her own. At least A2 has professed to doing something unlike 1 and 2 who declare the food yummy and proceed to gobble it up!
Been wanting to experiment to convert the cake mix into a pound cake as well.. Lemon being our favorite. Well let’s just say the weather was fine and Sunday being a lazy day, my brain did go off on to a hiatus and a bit of goof up later , pistachio pudding that was to be turned into kulfi and ice cream ended up here as I wanted to experiment and pound cake became light and fluffy Bundt cake as well…
So here we go. A semi homemade version that truly was exceptional in taste and texture and brought forth the flavor and color of pistachio. The drizzled icing just took it another whole level.. It was truly fabulous.. .. And looked like a million bucks when I spent a few pennies on it. I love the minimal effort and maximum mileage this one delivers. This is definitely a recipe to go to when you are short on time or you do not want to go the long route way..
A melt in your mouth pistachio Bundt cake that’s light and fluffy in texture taken to greater heights by the lemon drizzle! A sure winner !
Prep time : 15-20 minutes Baking time : 38-45 min
For the Bundt cake:
- White cake mix box : I used DH, white cake mix – 16.5 oz.
- Pistachio pudding : Jell-O Pistachio pudding mix pack : 1.5 packs ( each pack is 3.4 oz. / 4.5 servings)
- Milk 2% : 11/2 cup +2 Tbsp.
- Butter : 4 tbsp. At RT
- Eggs : 4
- White chocolate chips : 1/2 cup
- Almond extract : 2 tsp.
- Food Color green : 3 drops ( optional, but recommended)
For the Glaze/ Icing
- Confectioner’s sugar : 1 cup
- Heavy cream/ milk : 2 Tbsp. or just as required to thin
- Fine chopped raw pistachios : 1/4 cup
- Lemon Extract : 1 tsp.
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Spray your Bundt pan with oil of your choice and dust it with flour as well. Tap to remove excess and set aside. Make sure the nooks and crannies are completed greased and floured.
- In a mixing bowl, add the cake mix and pudding mix and whisk it well. Add in the melted butter or RT butter and 4 eggs. Add the eggs one by one, stirring in after each one.
- Add the milk, almond extract and three drops of food color and whisk it in until the mix is a soft fluffy batter. About 5 minutes or so in your stand mixer.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips / fold it in gently.
- Distribute the batter evenly in the Bundt pan( I used my 10 cup Bundt pan for this).
- Bake it for about 38 to 45 min until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Take it out and do let it cool down in the Bundt pan itself for about 15 minutes. Do not rush this please!
- After 15 minutes, invert it and the cake should simply slide out without any sticking if the pan has been properly greased.
- Let it cool well for a couple of hours at least before you glaze it.
- Option one : you can just dust it with confectioners sugar and it will be awesome!
- Option two: whip up heavy whipping cream with left over pudding mix and serve the cake topped with it.
- Option three : Mix everything listed under the glaze / icing tab listed above . Make a smooth thick and slightly runny past. Too much runny and it will simply slide off . Pour it over the cake, top with pistachios, let it set for about 20 min. Cut and serve.