This particular brownie is an ode to my youngest … A3 , as I would like to call him. It’s funny how much peanut butter this child can live on. You name it and Peanut Butter (PB) makes it better for him. Flatbreads to plain sliced honey wheat bread – everything tastes better with PB. Actually it’s kind of funny because my oldest would not touch it with a 10 foot pole (Unless he was starving in a deserted island and the Skippy jar would save him! Honestly I think he might debate the merits of it though… ) and my middle one is ambivalent about it but my youngest, the smile on his face for a PBJ makes it well worth it. With the wet spring weather and last days of old man winter, I think this particular day calls for brownies. Any kind of them would do. But since my youngest left with a I cannot believe I have to go to school today, I felt this might bring out the bring smile on him. Nothing beats the smile of your loved one after a downer day!
A doctored brownie mix – a quick fix brownie with swirls of peanut butter. Rich, gooey, chocolaty brownie with the smooth sweet and salty swirls of peanuts. Life is good!
Prep time : 10 min Bake time : 35 minutes Serves : 6-8
- Brownie Mix : 1 pack ( I used the regular one, not the family sized one)
- Eggs, milk and oil : As per the instructions on the box
- Peanut butter : 1/3 cup
- Brown sugar : 2 Tbsp ( optional )
- Pre heat the oven to the required temperature on the box. Most brownie mixes call for 325F to 350F.
- Grease a 8 by 8 inch square pan and keep aside.
- Prepare the brownie mix according to the instructions on the box . ( I used a Ghirardelli double chocolate mix. It called for 1 egg, 1/3 cup of oil and 1/4 cup of water and to be gently stirred in).
- Scoop out the batter in the greased baking pan.
- In a microwave safe bowl, warm the 1/3 cup of peanut butter to soften it. Not melt it but soften it to a stage where it will be easily swirled. I used the smooth and creamy kind and since it already was sweet enough, I did not add the 2 tbsp. of extra sugar to sweeten it.
- Add these near melted dropfuls of peanut butter and swirl gently.
- Bake as per the instructions. Mine took about 35 minutes.
- Cool, cut and serve with a tall glass of milk!
Verdict: Worth it!