Sometimes you just reach for the simple ! Minimal ingredients lend this smoothie a wonderful flavor and also a very refreshing touch .
Just a hint of lime and ginger and fresh Navel oranges and a half a banana to lend body to it and no dairy or added sugar please !
A hot and blazing spring / summer is gleefully grinning here in NC , Cary. But it is the season for gorgeous fruits and I am always seduced by the wide variety available. A huge bag of oranges found their way home and I had to put it to use ..and how 🙂
The Nutribullet – I personally love the no fuss and economical apparatus. Simply add everything in the bigger jar provided, screw on the blade, invert and blend away … Make it simple !
- Quick : check
- Kid friendly : check
- Chock full of Vitamins and Minerals : check
- Tastes awesome : check
Prep time : 5 min Blending time : 1 min or 90 seconds Serves : 2
- Banana : 1/2
- Naval oranges : 2 ( skinned and quartered)
- Ginger : skinned, 1/2 inch
- Crushed Ice : 1 cup
- Orange juice ( no added sugar kind please) or water : 1/4 cup
- Key lime juice : fresh , about 1/4 of the lime juiced
- Add everything in sequential order of listing or as per your blender’s requirements.
- Blend till you get an absolutely smooth mix.
- Pour and serve immediately.
Variation: Add a couple of sprigs of mint leaves next time for a more refreshing taste as well !
Verdict : Very light, smooth and a great pick me up smoothie. The ice and liquid add to the thinning of the drink. Since we added only half a banana it contributed to just add enough body without making it very robust.
If would like to thicken it , you can add an apple or an additional half banana. This is such a versatile base that you can mix and match with any number of fruits and perhaps a handful of greens as well.
Part of a healthy breakfast !