What would you do…. For a lime muffin? According to my daughter, an entire school project without complaints !
My butterfly (A2) was in a bit of a flighty mood yesterday . Saturday chores not withstanding, there was bit of a reluctance to do anything. Preteen issues I suppose. So while flitting around the kitchen and clearing up stuff for me , there was a declaration of “I will not do any more of my project work today”. Ahem ! Now when Mommy darling presented the solution of deferring it to Sunday, it fell on deaf ears !. But I guess you arrive at the solution when you want to…
A2 is also an immense fan of my baked goodies. Yay! I have a fan ! Actually I have 3. To bring out the summer in spring and the spring back in her step , I promised to make lemony muffins with glaze…. How do you do it without lemons? Make it key lime muffins with glaze and I had a grinning kiddo …And her brothers of course got it too..
So here’s to really light and melt in your mouth key lime muffins with just the right amount of tart, sweet and zing ! Bite one and I suppose you would experience burst of summer too!
Prep time : 10 – 15 min Bake time 20 min Servings : 12
- Self rising flour: 1.5 cups
- Baking soda: 1/4 tsp
- Egg : Large, 1 beaten
- Sour Cream : 3/4 Cup + zest of 1 key lime
- Lime Juice : 2 Tbsp. ( fresh)
- Pure lemon / lime extract : 1/2 tsp. ( optional)
- Veg oil : 1/3 Cup
- Sugar : 3/4 Cup Preferably brown soft sugar
- Milk : 1/3 Cup
- Confectioners sugar : 1.5 cups
- Lime Juice : 1 Tbsp.
- Zest of key lime : About 1 Tbsp.
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Whisk the self rising flour and baking soda together initially.
- Then add in the brown sugar and whisk it once more.
- Break a large egg and whisk it with 1/3 cup of oil. Seta side.
- To 3/4 cup of sour cream add in the zest of 1 key lime . ( Do make sure you wash the lime very well). Also add in about 2 Tbsp. of fresh key lime juice from these. You can also add 1/2 tsp of lemon / lime extract of desired to kick it up a notch. Whisk it and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or a mixing bowl, add in the dry ingredients first and then the milk and egg-oil mixture and sour cream and whisk it till well combined.
- Line muffin cups in your pan. This batter should make about 12 regular sized muffins.
- Add to about 3/4 of the cup and bake for 18-20 min. Do the skewer test to ensure it is fully cooked.
- These muffins are utterly soft and totally melt in the mouth. Perhaps you can even substitute for a cupcake!
- Remove from the oven and cool before glazing.
- Add all listed under glaze and whisk well together. If the mix is a bit dry , just add a tsp. of water to bring it together.
- Glaze as you like !
Perfect muffins that remind you of summer in spring!