Most people tend to procrastinate. I tend to procrastibake ! Sheez, I had a pile of things to take care of and the weather gods finally smile on us to make way for a ray of sunshine. My list for spring cleaning was just getting into the groove when I realized, I tend to make too many lists ( I need a checklist for lists..) and felt I could use a Mary Poppins gene – maybe it’s hidden somewhere . I just know it is there, I need to find it .. That’s all, seek and you shall find!
Well so begins the pantry cleaning which ends up in these moist bite perfect mini muffins. Don’t ask me for the connection, it just happened! These are absolutely delicious. Made in about 15 minutes – start to finish! These mini sized super moist muffins are so so good, I am not kidding. These are perfect for the after school snack. Get your kids a couple of these paired with fruits and milk and there you go, all is well now right? Cinnamon, Vanilla and chai spice – oh what more do you need – Maybe just a bit of cinnamon sugar sprinkle on the top. Life is perfect with a book, a steaming cuppa and a couple of these!
Recipe adapted from here.
Prep time : 8-10 min Baking time : 6-9 min Yield : 36-42 mini muffins
- Self rising flour : 2 cups
- Sugar ( brown or white) : 2/3 of a cup
- Melted butter : 1/3 cup
- Room temperature milk : 1 cup
- Baking soda : 1/2 tsp.
- Cinnamon ground : 1 tsp.
- Chai Masala : 1 – 1.5 tsp.
- Pure vanilla extract : 1/2 tsp.
For the topping:
- Fine sugar : 1/2 cup
- Cinnamon ground : 3/4 tsp.
- Melted butter : 3 Tbsp.
- Preheat the oven to 375 deg F and spray a 36 mini muffin pan and keep aside.
- In a mixing bowl add in the self rising flour, baking soda , chai spice mix, cinnamon powder and whisk it well.
- Add in the melted butter and milk and stir it in well.
- Add in the vanilla extract and stir it well too.
- Scoop out about a tbsp. or so of the muffin batter and add it to the pans . Do not over fill . About half the well or so to be filled.
- Bake it for about 6-8 minutes and do the skewer test so you know it’s completely baked.( the edges would turn a tad bit brown)
- Remove from the oven and cool for about 5 min or so.
- In a bowl, whisk the fine sugar and cinnamon and keep aside.
- Using a pastry brush , brush the tops of the muffins with melted butter and sprinkle cinnamon sugar on the top. Alternatively, remove each muffin and gently dip in the melted butter and dip into the sugar cinnamon mix to coat the tops.
- Want the entire muffin sugar sweet? just roll the whole muffins in the sugar mix to coat it well.
Chai Masala: ( you can use your spice mix or you can use this basic one too)
- Black peppercorns : 1 Tbsp.
- Whole green cardamom : 12 – 14 pods
- Cinnamon bark : 2 inches
- Dried ginger powder : 1 Tbsp.
- Black cloves : 3- 4
Warm the spices for a minute or two on a skillet . Cool and dry grind it in a spice grinder.
This would work will with thandai masala or as cinnamon banana mini muffins too or as in choco cinnamon mini muffins.