Would you like some whole wheat flour and thick rolled oats cookies with goodies which are tart, sweet and crunchy in it ? Oatmeal raisin is an all american classic cookie, but not exactly a favorite here at home. I really wanted to use up the tin of thick,rolled oats that found its way home after a shopping trip in November. Well you cannot really use it all up, but this is a great start and DH can swim in oatmeal whereas A1, 2 and 3 run away at the sight of it. It’s all about the compromise folks..Life is peaceful and oat battleground is calm again. What is it like in your place? do you guys love it? hate it? necessary evil it?
Why mess around with the basics eh? But we do what we got to do. And we bake the classic cookies with a minor twist. And who would not like to be done in 30 min flat ( apart from getting the butter and egg to RT ) ?
And pick one while warm and flip it hand to hand so you can take a bite ? A 3 has just about perfected a neat technique he practices when the cookies are right out of the oven and cooling off on a tray. And we just absolutely would die if it cannot be picked up 🙂
Let’s get a rundown on this ..
- Whole wheat flour : check
- Rolled oats : check
- Brown sugar : check
- Goodies : check
- Under 30 min : check !!
- Chunky, Crunchy ,Crispy, Chewy : check
Prep time : 15 min
Baking time : 16 minutes
Yield : about 24 cookies
- White whole wheat flour : 3/4 cup
- Thick, rolled oats ( not instant) : 1 and 1/4 cups
- Dark brown sugar : 1/2 cup ( packed)
- Granulated sugar : 1/4 cup
- Unsalted butter , room temperature: 7 Tbsp.
- Large, cage free egg : 1
- Cinnamon , ground : 1/4 tsp ( optional)
- salt : 1/2 tsp.
- Baking powder : 1/2 tsp.
- Chopped, toasted walnuts : 1/4 cup
- Dried Cranberries : 1/2 cup
- Chopped Semi sweet or dark chocolate : 1/4 cup
- Pure Vanilla extract : 1 Tbsp.
- Pre that the oven to 350 F
- Line two baking trays with parchment paper or silpat.
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk very well. Add the rolled oats and whisk again.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer ( or if using a hand mixer) cream the butter initially for a couple of minutes and then add the sugars and cream for another 2 minutes. Smooth texture is all that we need
- Add the egg and whisk till incorporated. Do not over beat.
- Add the vanilla extract and cinnamon powder and whisk once again.
- Add the flour and oats mix and fold it in.
- Add the chocolate bits, cranberries and toasted walnuts and fold again. Note: Fold, not beat it in. Simple gently fold in so they are distributed. Do do not beat th check out of it. You will have tough cookie and not a tender one then.
- Place spoonfuls ( about 1.5 inch balls/ globes / scoops) about a couple of inches apart on the lined baking tray. Tip : taller scoops will yield chunkier , puffier cookies.
- Bake for about 14-17 minutes, till edges turn brown and tops are a pale brown.
- Let it cool in the baking tray for about 5-8 minutes before transferring to a wired cookie sheet to finish off the cooling process.
Enjoy with a tall glass of cold/ warm milk. Or perfect with a robust tea.
Gasp ! this is a breakfast cookie 🙂