Honestly, what do you do when you have a pair of over ripe bananas and a pack of fresh blueberries? Mostly, I end up making a good old smoothie. Throw in a few more fruits , maybe a bit of avocado ( gasp) and it goes down pretty fast into the bellies of the young ones.
But with frigid weather, it called for something warm and inviting.. And banana bread it is ! Now this bread is made with white whole wheat flour and APF and the texture once baked would delight you. It yields nice thick slices and warmed up would be great to be served with whipped sweet cream. I know, crazy as it sounds, it hold pretty well during slicing. Now normally when it comes to quick breads, I usually hesitate to use whole wheat, because the result is usually very dense slice of the bread. But using white whole wheat flour ( I love KA’s white whole wheat! Now in case you are wondering, this is not refined flour but flour milled from soft white winter wheat . A combination of both the flours will reduce the denseness and combined with banana puree, this is one heck of a loaf.. Keeps well frozen too !
Here it goes .. You can substitute the blue berries for walnuts, chocolate chips and much more..
- White whole wheat flour : 1 cup
- All purpose flour : 1/2 cup
- Baking soda : 1 tsp.
- Salt : A pinch
- Vanilla Extract : 1 Tsp.
- Ground cinnamon : 2 Tsp.
- Granulated brown/shite sugar : 1/2 cup ( can increase to 3/4 if you need a tad bit sweeter)
- Over ripe Bananas : 2 – 3
- Blueberries : 1/4 cup
- Egg : 1(beaten)
- Butter : 1/3 cup ( melted)
- Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
- Wash the blueberries, pat dry and toss it in about 1 tbsp. of the flour and keep aside. This ensures that the blueberries do not sink to the bottom of the bread.
- In a large bowl, whisk in both the flours and salt ,sugar and baking soda and ground cinnamon. The whisking aerates the flour and also ensures distribution of the cinnamon, sugar , soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mash the bananas or puree them. Add in the beaten egg, vanilla extract and melted butter and whisk it together.
- Add the liquid contents to the dry mix and stir it in well.
- The resulting mix is dense shaggy mass that needs to be distributed into a well greased 9 by 5 loaf pan.
- Bake in the center rack of your oven for about 50 min.( Do the skewer test – skewer inserted into the center of the loaf should come clean)
- Remove from the oven, cool it down very well before slicing it.
Serve warm, thick slices, straight out. Or Slice it , add a dash of whipped cream on the side and dig in! However you choose, this is really good to delve into!
Recipe adapted from Simple Recipes.